2018 Mark V Monument Project Scholarship Application Information
Welcome to the 2018 Mark V Monument Project Scholarship Program. We are excited to be able to offer this scholarship to our Military Diving families, and are grateful for the donations and volunteer efforts that enable us to operate. These instructions have been developed to explain the application process and to answer common questions.
- Applicants must be the spouse, child, stepchild, grandchild, or other DOD recognized dependent of a United States Military Diver.
- Children or DOD recognized dependents must be 23 years of age or younger.
- There is no age limit for spouses.
- United States Military Divers are not eligible for scholarship awards.
- Active duty service members are not eligible for scholarship awards regardless of their relationship to a Military Diver.
- Service Academy Cadets and Midshipman are not eligible for scholarship awards as they are considered to be on active duty.
- Scholarships will only be granted for initial 2 year or 4 year regionally accredited educational institution undergraduate degree programs. Graduate and professional degree programs are not eligible.
Applications will be available on January 1, 2018. Anything sent by mail, including Official Transcripts and letters of recommendation, must be postmarked no later than March 1, 2018. The deadline for submission of application materials will be March 15, 2018.
Attention: Late materials and incomplete application
packages will not be considered for an award.
“Application Packages MUST Be Complete”
- Completed scholarship application.
- Sponsor signature page with both the applicant and sponsor signatures, or death certificate in lieu.
- Official academic transcripts for grades 9-12 and for any college classes taken. Only official transcripts mailed directly from the school will be accepted.
- 2 letters of recommendation (from non-family members). Letters must have contact information and signature of recommenders.
Any application items should be mailed to:
Mark V Monument Project Scholarship Application
4438 Brook Forest Drive
Panama City, FL 32404
AWARD EVALUATION AND CRITERIA
An anonymous committee of 5-7 Mark V Monument Project volunteers representing current, former and retired Military Divers, both officer and enlisted, and their spouses will each spend a total of 20-25 hours, carefully reading and evaluating each completed application package across the following 8 categories:
- Grade Point Average
- Volunteerism and Community Involvement
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Paid Employment
- Letters of Recommendation
- Overall Impression
We expect these scholarships to be very competitive. It is important for applicants to do well in most if not all of these categories. Successful applicants will demonstrate strong academics and a strong writing ability, combined with community involvement and have demonstrated an ability to manage their time effectively. This application is a sales pitch to the volunteers on the scholarship committee. Make sure you sell yourself as a good candidate by making sure that they know what you can do and what you have done for your community.
The amount and number of awards varies annually due to the number of qualified applicants and the funds available.
Award notifications will be sent via US mail beginning on May 17, 2018.
Use the table below to help ensure that you have completed and submitted all required documents for your application to be complete.
|COMPLETE||ITEM DESCRIPTION||HOW TO SUBMIT|
|Transcripts from all schools for grades 9 – 12||Mailed from school, official copies only|
|Transcripts of all courses taken at a 2 year or 4 year regionally accredited educational institution||Mailed from school, official copies only mailed to: Mark V Monument Project Scholarship Application4438 Brook Forest DrivePanama City, FL 32404|
|Mark V Monument Project ScholarshipSponsor Signature Page (page 4)||Signed by both the applicant and sponsor, Scanned and emailed to:firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Completed Mark V Monument Project Scholarship Application (pages 5 – 12)||Email to: email@example.com|
|1st letter of recommendation||Mailed from recommender to: Mark V Monument Project Scholarship Application4438 Brook Forest DrivePanama City, FL 32404|
|2nd letter of recommendation||Mailed from recommender to: Mark V Monument Project Scholarship Application4438 Brook Forest DrivePanama City, FL 32404|
|DD214 or Purple Heart Award Certificate for those requesting Wounded Warrior preference.||Scanned and emailed to:firstname.lastname@example.org|
All questions on the application require answers or the requested documentation. If the requested information or documentation is unknown or unavailable, an explanation is required. Any blank or unanswered questions, without the respective explanation, will result in the application being classified as incomplete and be disqualified from consideration.
GPAs should be calculated on a 4.0 scale. Not all schools offer 5.0 grading for advanced courses. Scholarship committee members will take the academic load into account when evaluating applicants.
Supporting documentation should have sensitive data like Social Security Numbers blacked out before they are submitted, for your security.
APPLICATION AND CONTACT INFORMATION
If you have any problems with the application, please contact the Scholarship Committee Chair, Jim Brawley, via email: email@example.com